The Pain Toolkit
Welcome to the Pain Toolkit Website - Visit the website to download the Toolkit
The Pain Toolkit is a simple information booklet that could provide you with some handy tips and skills to support you along the way to managing your pain.
It is not meant to be the last word in pain self-management but a handy guide to help you get started – all you need to be is willing to read it and take on board some of the suggestions.
Pete Moore, who has persistent pain, asthma and osteoarthritis, has put these tools together with the help of friends, family and health care professionals – special acknowledgement to the Bradford pain Rehabilitation Programme team and NHS Kirklees PCT.
These tools have helped many people and could also help you too!
- Accept that you have persistent pain & move on
- Get Involved – Building a support team
- Pacing. Learn to pace yourself
- Learn to prioritise and plan out your days
- Setting Goals and Action Plans
- Being patient with yourself
- Learn relaxation skills & keep relaxed
- Keeping fit. Stretching & Exercise
- Keep a diary and track your progress
- Have a set-back plan to fall back on
- Team Work. Get involved with others
- Keeping it up. Put into practice tools, 1-11
This “Demons on the Boat” animation is a variation of the “Passengers on the Bus” metaphor, which shows how we can notice thoughts and feelings, and choose not to react to them. Thoughts are just passing streams of words.
An ACT metaphor